Four Wrestlers Qualify For State This Weekend

Eli Porterfield, Sports Editor

Wrestling season concludes this weekend with four wrestlers at state.

There are four wrestlers going to state; Phillip Kue, Riley Salazar, Tui Dawn Laithang, and Jeremiah Van Cleve.

Kue “I think I’m going to finals, hopefully get another State Title.”

Photo’s provided by Philip Kue
Philip Kue responds to the crowd’s cheers after his championship match last year.

Coach Ehren Schneider said, “As with most state champions, we have high expectations how Phillip is going to finish this season.”

Salazar “I don’t know, it’s just scary. I hope to place and I just hope to make it to the second day.”

Carscallen
David Douglas opponent get tossed by Riley Salazaar earlier in the year.

Coach Schneider stated, “Riley fought through a tough weight class to make it to state this year as a sophomore. He has shown this level of determination all season and should do well at state.”

Laithang   “I feel pretty good. I’m confident.  My record is better than last year’s. I’ll give everything I have.”

Ava Fischer
Tui Dawn Laithang

Schneider said, “This is Tui’s second state tournament. He was a surprise his freshman year and then dominated districts this year. We expect that he will do very well and possibly place this year.”

Van Cleve “I want to place in the top three.”

Ava Fischer
Jeremiah Van Cleve

Coach Schneider mentioned,  “Making it to state as a freshman is a great accomplishment in itself, but Jeremiah has the talent and dedication to make an impact at the tournament.”

About the Contributors
Eli Porterfield, Sports Editor
Eli Porterfield is a senior that is contributing his second year to the Advanced Journalism team. Porterfield is also involved with the basketball program, he spends a lot of his time around basketball and was a member of the JV basketball team last year.  Porterfield’s free time often goes towards playing basketball.   One of his...
Ava Fischer, Staff Writer
This is sophomore Ava Fischer’s first year in journalism.  Outside of school, Fischer loves to read and eat Thai food.  She founded the girls golf team and is currently the team captain.  She has been doing dance for 13 years and volunteers at East Hill Church with the kids, at summer camps and Stepping Stone...