AP Or College Now: Which Is Best?

Assistant Principal Laura Scully.

Assistant Principal Laura Scully.

Harms

Harms

Assistant Principal Laura Scully.

Olivia Harms, Staff Writer and Feature Editor

Through the last few weeks, approximately 280 AP tests were taken by around 180 Centennial students.   All of the hard work that students go through to receive a good score on the AP test makes students wonder, is there a better way?

An alternate option may be College Now classes.  

To find out which route to college credits is better, it must be understood about the college credit offered for both courses.  

To receive college credit for AP classes, students take a test and must receive a three or above on the test to receive some college credit.  The lower the score, the fewer credits received, and some of those credits may be in an elective credit rather than in the specific class students took the test for.  AP credits are accepted by many colleges, but acceptance varies depending on each school.
In reference to AP classes, Assistant Principal Laura Scully said, “They are recognized nationally, most schools have an AP credit chart to see how many credits students may receive.  AP classes are a risk; you have to take the exam, and there are higher stakes.”

College Now credits are received when students receive a ‘C’ in the class to receive credit.  The credit is transferable to Oregon public colleges; while they may transfer to private schools that is something that students are encouraged to check out before taking the College Now path.

Scully said, in reference to College Now, “Your current teacher is giving you a grade and is transferable to any Oregon public and some Washington schools. sometimes it’s an elective credit.”

Students have their own opinion if AP classes are worth it, sophomore Kaitlin Perry  says, referring to the class she will soon to finish, AP US History, which offers the AP test along with College Credit, “Yes it was worth it because I felt that I could learn more writing techniques, which is what I wanted to learn in Honors English.”

Receiving this credit, it also saves a lot of money for students.  Scoring a three or above on the national exam, students could save up to 2,232 dollars at Portland State University.  

At Oregon State, if a student scores a three on the APUSH exam, the student will receive six history elective credits, whereas at the University of Oregon, the student would have eight history credits.  Also at OSU, if a student scores a four on the Art History exam, they will receive eight elective art credits.  At the UO, the student would have four credits, completing the Art 1 elective course.

College Now gives students the credit for English 121 and 122 for Oregon public schools.

There is truly no way of knowing which classes is better for every student; it all depends on what college the student plans and which college credits they accept.

Scully said, “You (students) have to do your research, and find out what school you want to go to so you know what credits you need. For private schools, AP is a better option, although the best option is AP classes with dual credit. That’s  the best because you have a backup plan.”
“My advise is to take an AP test or two, and get a feel for what it is and sign up for  a College Now class, as a backup for credit,” said Scully.

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Basketball Coaching Profiles

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Principal Mairi Scott Aguirre Reflects On First Few Years

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Opinion

Homework and Lack of Sleep Harmful To Students

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Opinion

College Football Power 5 Conferences Breakdown

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Students Show Various Talents Thursday

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

News

College Deadlines Upcoming, Seniors Beware

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

News

Canned Food Drive Strives For 10,000 Pounds

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Emilee Pease’s Peachy Perspective

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Day’s Days Numbered; After 30 Years Retirement Is Here

• AP Or College Now:  Which Is Best?

Grubar Learns Many Valuable Lessons

AP Or College Now: Which Is Best?