Is Math Here At CHS Going To Be Vital In Our Everyday Lives? MOS

Is math here at Centennial High School going to be vital in our everyday lives? Are there any ways that this high school could improve upon their math department? Over this past week, CHS students spoke about what they think about the math curriculum here, and whether or not it would be useful in an average adult life. 

“I think it’s kinda useless; I like learning it, but I don’t use it. We only need the four basic math operations; adding, subtracting, dividing, and multiplying. Make it easier for us to want to learn.” Georgie Steketee, sophomore

“Maybe it could be helpful if you’re working at a cash register, or trying to find a formula if you’re a scientist. To help, they could give more one-on-one. There are a lot of students who complain about the school not having a lot of that.” Alexis Zimmerman, sophomore

“They actually do a good job with the math here. It helps you throughout life with bills, taxes, and a lot of other things. I would make it a longer class period; I feel like there’s not enough time throughout the day to teach everything.” Max Badaliy, freshman

“The math here sucks. No, I don’t think it’s related to real-life stuff. Make it related to real-life. Taxes, mortgages, etc. I’d be interested in that type of math.” Taevin Danner, sophomore

“I don’t think it could end up helping you. If you’re making a building or something like that, it would then be able to help you. I feel like more stuff relating to stuff in adult life would help out a lot.” Anthony Franco, freshman

“No. Instead, I think they could teach us math that could help us in real-life situations.” Teba Ismael, senior.

“I think so, yes. If you’re going into a harder job in life, it would be useful. If I would fix something about the math here, it would be more prep for pre-calculus, because I know a lot of people who take it and they say it’s the hardest class they’ve ever taken. Cing Dim, sophomore

“Sometimes it can help. Just make it less equations, and more stuff on the screen. Visuals, graphs, that would be more interesting, and not as boring.” Ray Bird, freshman

“By getting better teachers, that could help how they teach math. With [long-term] projects, instead of sitting down that would help to keep the students more interested. More cooperation between the students would help out a lot.” Maria Duong, junior

“It depends on what sort of stuff you’re getting taught in math. Trigonometry and physics, for example, I can see them helping you later in life.” Bryan Chut, senior

“Absolutely. I have a friend, he does algebraic thinking. ‘If I have this to work on, but this amount of time’, that’s algebra. That training could help later in life. The more variety we have in the math department, the better.” Phil Huff, English Teacher