The Centennial Talon

The student news site of Centennial High School

The Centennial Talon

The Centennial Talon

Dance Team Cooperation

Centennial athletics goes through ups and downs. While some teams perform great, others don’t and struggle to cooperate. Unity is the answer to achieving your goals as a team. The centennial dance team, the Hi-C’s, have proven their unity within each other these past years and are ready for upcoming competitions.

With senior captains Duyen Nguyen, Lian Ning, and Alivia Siscaretti, they made it to state last year and placed 4th overall. Specifically, their pom routine got 1st place, and their victory of 1st place was an immense achievement for them.

Usually, during the fall season, they are performing routines during assemblies. Their season runs from August to March, and tryouts occur the previous spring. There are sixteen girls on the dance team, which they split into junior varsity and varsity. Their three coaches prepare them to perform at state and compete in competitions in the 6A division.

Their new senior captains are Marisol Jerónimo, Natalia Vasquez, and Jaimesyn Chassaing. When they perform at assemblies, they show coordination and cooperation with each other. Also, each dancer performs with efficiency and effort in front of hundreds of students. Valerie, the co-captain of the varsity team, commented that “Being patient” definitely affects the process of learning a routine. The patience a dancer shows may demonstrate dedication towards the group.

The Hi-C’s have three senior captains who lead them to achieve their goals. Valerie said the seniors “help by reassuring us and making us feel comfortable with the team.” When on a team, you can build more friendships with your teammates. Some people even describe a sports group as a second family. The Friendships made can help build cohesion, resulting in victories. Valerie mentions they encourage each other and create a positive environment. She said to give inspiration and “listen to the motivation and not ignore it.” The key is to provide advice and push others to listen to that advice.

Each dancer wants to get better at something. To make the whole crew strive, team members should focus on themselves to come together. Specifically, Valerie wants to improve her facials and flexibility. Facials are crucial because they help show emotion throughout a dance routine.

Overall, the Hi-C’s are trying to make it to the state championships and meet the goals they set at the beginning of the year. Valerie said they feel “more pressure to win than freshman year.” As new members join this team, they will come to find a group of people willing to hear constructive feedback. They try their best every day to improve themselves and the team. They learn that you don’t need to get 1st place to show your team is the best.