The Centennial Talon

The student news site of Centennial High School

The Centennial Talon

The Centennial Talon

HOMECOMING FOR THE EAGLES

Homecoming week for Centennial was September 17th-September 23, 2023. They celebrated the whole week getting prepared for the big homecoming game on Friday, the 22nd against Hillsboro and the homecoming dance on Saturday the 23rd.
    Centennial’s student council set up a spirit week as well as a homecoming assembly to amp up student’s spirits for homecoming. There was barbie/pink out Monday, gold out Tuesday, color war Wednesday, celebrity Thursday, and eagle out Friday. Spirit week brings the school together showcasing the eagle pride we all know and love.
    At the assembly, many games were being played between each class and even the staff. The assembly has performances by the dance team, the cheer and football team, and the drama department. Homecoming court was also announced and performed a routine for the crowd.
    On Friday, September 22nd 2023, it was finally homecoming day. The game officially started at 7 pm. They were having a homecoming parade that started at 5:30 and at 6:30 is when the field grand opening started. Everyone showed up with their eagle pride by making their own shirts, making fun posters, and cheering alongside the cheer team.
    At halftime, the homecoming court came out, and the two winners were crowned. Bryson Camat won homecoming king and Meesha St. John won homecoming queen. Then cheer rushed out to perform their halftime routine on the new turf to ¨September¨ By Earth, Wind, & Fire”. Cheer then finished and out went the Hi-Cs to perform their halftime routine on the track to ¨Yeah!¨ By Usher. The crowd cheered for all 3 halftime gigs and finally went off Centennials annual halftime fireworks, the crowd was in awe, and many of the seniors were emotional about this being their last homecoming.
    The game finally ended with the score at 0-43. Everyone parted ways, still celebrating homecoming despite the loss of the game.
    Saturday September 23rd 2023 kicked off the homecoming dance. Students walked in at 7 to be greeted by the student council. They got their wristbands, went through a bag check and acquired a glow stick bracelet to support the neon theme. A live Dj was playing, a spot set up for pictures, balloons, and even streamers and neon lights in the back gym. While in the main gym tables were set up as a spot to hang out without the loud music and people screaming. The dance went from 7-10pm and everyone kept smiling, laughing, and having a good time. They played music from all genres, and years, fitting everyone’s personal liking.
    Homecoming for the eagles is a success, we may have lost, but still in our hearts the eagles are number one.