Failing A Class Is Not The End Of The World

What happens when a student fails a class? This question was brought up one day after finals week and I got pretty curious to find out the answer. I began to think of different scenarios in which failing a class might be more rough than failing another. Sadly, failing a class is a common issue.

Many things could go wrong that could cause a student to fail a class. Illness, injury, language barriers, travel, work, family emergencies, moving, transportation problems, distracting relationships, drugs, alcohol,  and/or family issues. Whatever the reason, there is still hope.

The first thing to keep in mind is that our CHS faculty is here to help you succeed.  You might be surprised at how understanding they can be. This support combined with time and effort are the keys to overcoming almost any obstacle.

But, here’s where it can get a little complicated. If you fail a year long course for first semester do you still continue the same course?

Ben Petersen said, “For math courses it depends. Our system is set up to, if you fail a course you repeat it. The issue is if you fail that class twice, then it prevents you from graduating on time based on needing three full years of math. This way if you fail Integrated 1A freshman year once, you have a chance to pass it again 2nd semester. Currently our repeater 1A has a 95% success rate.”

Stacy Vanderpool said, “It depends on the course.  In English, you do continue on to the second semester course.  The failed course would need to be made up during summer school, credit recovery, or by retaking the course.  In the case of the last two options, a student would lose an elective opportunity while they’re making up the failed credit.”  

Counselor Sally Menolascina said, “For most classes students continue in the year-long class. In world languages they do not. Math is more of a semester class and students repeat the failed class in the following semester. For English (as with other required courses- social studies, science, health) students continue in the year-long class and take credit recovery, or repeat the failed class to earn the credit needed for graduation.”

All in all, if you do end up failing a class there are more than enough resources to help you get back on track.