Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Doug Paul teaches Simone Willingham, junior. He has many ongoing goals and aspirations as a teacher.

Lunceford

Lunceford

Lunceford

Jennifer Lopez Gonzalez, Cub Reporter

To have a strong and successful school, you need great teachers that go beyond the expectations of teaching. Doug Paul, at Centennial High School is one of the many teachers that offer much more than the basics to their students.

Paul is a transparent guy who is honest which offered a “real” response.

Paul has been teaching English at CHS for four years. His reason for deciding to major in writing is that it “offers freedom to discuss any idea.”

He believes it’s important, as there’s endless topics to write about or discuss and no restrictions.

As the interview continued, Paul was asked the ultimate question of,  “Are you happy?” With a moment of silence that covered the room, his response was he doesn’t believe in chasing happiness, but he is content, although he admits he hates grading.

A few goals for Paul include someday becoming a published writer, to teach in a foreign country such as Chile, and to maybe attempt to learn Spanish. Though responsibilities and priorities hold him back from achieving these goals, he does write more and accepts it that it’ll be a process.

He confirms he doesn’t believe in himself as much as he should and is lazy, but that leads to  a goal as a teacher to help each of his students to become successful.

Three things Paul would have told his younger self are, “Believe in yourself. Love yourself for your mistakes. And hang onto friendships that really matter.”

Why those three things? “Because of experience,” he said.

When it came down to his fears, he had to think about it for sometime. But what it came down to was fearing he will one day no longer view the world as a child perceives it. He believes in order to overcome that is to keep on doing things that keep you young.

Paul, like most people, carried some regrets. Though this question was a bit broad and personal, Paul was transparent and honest and said his biggest regret was not being able to express himself as a man to his mother before she passed. Though details weren’t explained, one could only imagine the burden Paul may be carrying. However, from that experience he does try to express himself more today.  

Something Paul tries to accomplish everyday is have a meaningful, face-to-face conversation with somebody. Even for 10 minutes, it shows that person that someone cared, that somebody actually listened to them. This ties into what he wants his students to take away from him:  He cares and that he took an interest in them and believed that they are a “worthwhile person.”

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Eagle Fest Week Takes Over CHS May 20-24

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

CHS Remembers Kitchen Staff Member Adam Curtis

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

’17 Graduate Regimbald Earns Full-Ride to Montana State

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Caffeine Is It Worth The Headache?

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Alternate Prom Opportunities Available

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Rabbits May Not Be Perfect Easter Gift

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Earth Day Is Next Week!

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Drama Wins At State

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Credit Opportunity SLIPS Away

• Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals

Final Scholarship Deadlines For Seniors Draw Near

Paul Opens Up About Teaching, Goals