Heartbreaker! Boys Lose On Penalty Kicks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kevin Vasquez, number 3, passes the ball across the field. The Eagles ended the season with a final score of 3-2.

File Photo

File Photo

File Photo

Mauricio Lemus-Vargas, Staff Writer

The 11th seeded boys soccer team was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs Saturday by 22nd seed Lake Oswego.

The game was tied 2-2 going after double overtime. The Eagles ended up in a penalty shootout and ended up losing 5-4 during the shootout, for a final score of 3-2.

“Let just say it didn’t end the way we had expected,” said Head Coach Todd Saks. “I felt we played a very controlled game.  After LO scored on us in the first 2 minutes, we turned on and took control.”

Saks said,  “We locked down their game plan which was to boot and dump the ball behind our back line.  The chances were there we just couldn’t finish. That was the story of this season. We would out play every team but just couldn’t put the ball in the back of the net.”

Despite the loss, Saks remained proud of his team.  “I am very proud of the boys. They are a great example of the quality of students we have at Centennial School District.  I love watching them play and go about their business,” he said. “ In the end, I just wanted more time with them and watch them play a game they all love.”

Senior Nathan Feltner said, “In the first half we came out a little slow so they ended up scoring the first goal. After that we dominated the game and scored twice to go up 2-1 at the end of the half. We continued to dominate the game in the second half but unfortunately they scored again. We would then end up losing in penalty kicks. I thought we deserved the win and we’re the better team but that’s how soccer goes sometimes.”

• Heartbreaker! Boys Lose On Penalty Kicks

Opinion

Could SAGA replace LGBTQ?

Posture Affects More Than The Spine

Marissa’s Meme Dictionary

ASB Application Materials Due April 19

Opinion

Let’s All Work On Staying Positive

Momo Challenge?

Jalen’s 1st Person Baseball Preview

Wireless Airpods Pose Health Concern

Opinion

On a Scale From 1-10, How Excited Were You About The Snow Days And What Did You Do?

Guest Column: Nodding My Head in Agreement