Student Athletes Test Training Rules

High school is all about taking opportunities and learning new things. But some opportunities come with a risk, such as partying. In order for a student to be eligible to participate in a desired sport, they have to sign various papers, including a contract stating specific rules that they are required to follow.

The general violations are criminal acts, serious misconduct, drug use, and alcohol or tobacco possession/ use.

Despite popular belief, a student under the contract can and will get suspended for being in attendance where these violations are happening, even if they are not participating at all.

“It’s the right thing to do,” explained Athletic Director Brent Child when asked why these rules were a part of the contract. Luckily, kids don’t get caught very often so it’s not a typical problem Child has to deal with.

The punishment for violating a rule can range from 10% suspension of the season’s games or meets to complete suspension from the sport. The punishment is much more severe on the second offense.

Not everyone likes or agrees with the policy.  “I just don’t think school should have the right to control what a student athlete does outside of school. It’s not really going to change their habits,” said Junior Josh Ramirez, a student athlete himself.

Senior Alyssa Davis disagrees, stating, “[Training rules and codes] are good because high school students shouldn’t be doing any of that anyway. The reason why some kids are in high school sports is to work up to being a professional, and when you’re a professional you have to sign contracts, too.”