End of Quad 1; A Look into Upcoming Conferences

Since the first quad is coming to an end, that means that conferences are just around the corner, and CHS is having a different approach to parent-teacher conferences this year. 

On December 2 and 3 conferences are going to be held and they are going to be with Advisory teachers between these three times: 8 to 11:30 am, 12:00 to 3:30 pm, and 4:30 to 8:00 pm. Unlike past years, conferences are going to be held remotely and at the end of the Quad, instead of in the middle, so students will be meeting with their parents and advisory teachers about their final Quad 1 grades. The parent-teacher meetings are going to be student-led based on a form students are going to be filling out, in their Advisory classes, called an Eagle Report. 

“[The students] are going to be filling this out in Advisory class. It’s going to be what your current grades are, you’re going to look at your transcript, you’re going to look at your attendance, you’re going to talk about your goals and things you want to improve upon, you’re going to reflect on something you enjoy and something you can do better,” said math teacher and Freshman Team Leader, Ben Petersen. 

Essentially, students are going to be explaining their academic situations to their parents rather than the teachers doing the talking. Petersen explained that the meeting sessions will last around 20 minutes and students, along with their parents, are going to be receiving an email in order to schedule for a conference time that works for them. 

In addition, though conferences are not a requirement Petersen said, “It’s one of those things where we are going to want students to be there.” Teachers are also aware that sometimes parents are busy and may not be able to attend conferences on the scheduled days. One way Petersen says students can tackle this obstacle is by having their parents go to the Zoom call from work. And if this is not possible, there is always the option to arrange a time that will work with your schedule. 

If it is still unclear how conferences are going to look this year, the link attached will take you to a video of Tim Roupp, Ehren Schneider, and Ben Petersen acting out how conferences are supposed to happen. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RkMl8qinqv_lWtKDzpwT-lc0zru-0pq2/view?usp=sharing