Blackburn Becomes the Newest Eagle

Centennial’s newest educator is Marine Science and Biology teacher Andrew Blackburn.  He is taking the position long-time CHS teacher Pat Deale vacated when he moved to the Centennial Virtual Academy.

Question: How long have you been teaching?

Blackburn: This is now my 3rd year as a Teacher, and I love what I am able to do everyday.

Q:  Where did you teach prior to CHS?

Blackburn: I taught biology and general sciences at Gresham High and David Douglas before coming to Centennial.

Q: Do you have any kids?

Blackburn: I do not have any kids of my own, but recently became an uncle, which has been amazing!

Q: What made you want to be a teacher?

Blackburn:  Great question! Even as a teacher I still enjoy learning new things everyday. I wanted to make a positive impact for the future of our planet, and enjoy teaching and learning from my students very much! 

Q: What subject(s) are you teaching and why? 

Blackburn:  Marine Science and Biology. The oceans are a fascinating key, vital to the well-being of our planet, and filled to the brim with discovery. Biology both helps us grow a better understanding of how our world works, and paves the way for new medical breakthroughs.  

Q:  How does it feel not being able to see any of your students face to face and having to get to know them over a computer screen?

Blackburn:  Virtual distance learning certainly feels a bit different overall. Even though we are not meeting in person we do our best to have an engaging classroom experience. I have been impressed how my students still interact and contribute in many different ways during class. It is still great to learn about my students and their many personalities, as we cover content and complete a variety of digital activities.  

Q:  What are some challenges you’ve faced while teaching so far?

Blackburn:  One of the great things about teaching is that there is always room for growth and practices to learn and experiment. I often will think after a lesson of ways to further engage my students or if a certain experiment sparked their curiosity. One of the greatest challenges is time, and the ability to multitask many activities throughout a day. 

Q:  What are some of your hobbies outside of school?

Blackburn: Outside of school and science, I enjoy playing a variety of RPGs on PlayStation game systems. I play basketball and follow the NBA avidly. I also spend time sharpening my game in Chess. Usually reading a new Sci-fi or Fantasy novel as well. Feel free to give any recommendations!