The Centennial Talon

The student news site of Centennial High School

The Centennial Talon

The Centennial Talon

Assembly Days

Assembly+Days

Assemblies are always a special memory each month. Something new and exciting always happens at an assembly, and sometimes they can catch everyone off guard. Planning an assembly seems like hard work. Coming up with new, fresh activities for everyone to enjoy can be a challenge, so props to our student council committee.
It can be a challenge coming up with new, and fresh activities to plan for assemblies. There’s a group of people who will typically brainstorm ideas, and organize each event. According to student council member Julia Laonis, planning an activity can be difficult, especially when you are trying your best not to reuse old activities. Most students don’t typically participate in games, which makes it harder for our organizers to go through fun events they want to pull off. Since it can be difficult to figure out new activities for everyone to enjoy, our student council tries their best to always find something fresh, and new for us to enjoy.
Both student and teacher participation can be difficult. When it comes to teacher participation it can be rather difficult to get teachers who haven’t been in an activity before to participate. Most students would rather stay on the bleacher side, than to partake in an activity that everyone would definitely enjoy watching them do. One activity that I was eager to do was ‘Elmer on the Beat’ which unfortunately got canceled due to lack of student participation. Considering the lack of participants, some student council members will step in and do an activity for us to appreciate.
Every assembly we’d get a special performance made by either the Cheer team, HI-C’s, or both! Whenever it comes to special performances the team that organizes events will reach out to them through email to see if they’ll perform for us. Since our performers often do something for students it’s become a routine for them. They always have a performance in preparation for us to watch. We love watching each performance, so props to our performers. Every assembly is a memory for us all.
“My favorite memory was our homecoming assembly, where we had the cheerleaders, football team, and court members dance together. At one of our assemblies we had a slip and slide, which made the teachers think it was super dangerous, but to the kids it was fun.” Said by Student Council member, Julia Laonis.
I was shocked when finding out the football team danced at the homecoming assembly, I’ve only ever seen that in movies. Every assembly has its own spark to it, its own kind of uniqueness, and that’s what makes each assembly so special.