What Are CHS Student’s Listening To?

Getty Images

Set of sketched musical design elements. Hi res jpeg included. More works like this linked below.

The songs that live in people’s playlist are like the fingerprints of their musical interests, everyone’s tastes are different. Since music ranges from anything between Pop Punk to Country, it only makes sense that CHS students have equally colorful music tastes as the genres available to them. That brings up the question: what are CHS students listening to? 

Allison Lahmann

What genre(s) of music do you gravitate towards? 

I think pop music, I guess. I think K-Pop as well, is another genre I listen to more than others.

What music are you listening to right now? 

Right now, it’s musicals, like songs from musicals. The one I’m listening to most is the Hamilton [soundtrack].

Who are the top three musicians and/or bands you’re listening to? Why do you enjoy their music?

I really like Eminem. I also really like Sabrina Carpenter, she’s been on my top list lately. These guys, they’re called Stray Kids, they’re a K-Pop band. I think they’re music is really catchy. It’s easy to want to sing along or dance to it. [Which] makes it easier to learn the words and understand.

What is your favorite album of all time?

I don’t think so, I listen to [musicians] singles.

What new music are you looking forward to this year? 

I saw [there were] some concerts that are supposed to be in town [soon], I guess, so I want to see if I can go to those.

Lima Popal

I listen to pop, the majority is pop, but sometimes rap.

Yeah, it’s pop. Definitely lots of pop music.

My top three are definitely Jorja Smith, Giveon, and Rema. I like their lyrics. Especially Giveon’s, he sings about relatable things that are easy to listen to and aren’t intense. One lyric that stuck out to me is from Giveon’s song, Favorite Mistake: our screete’s safe, so you’re my favorite mistake. That title itself is so catchy, you know, you would want to listen to what this is about.

What was your favorite album or song from last year?

I don’t really pay attention to the albums, but let’s just say SOS by SZA is my favorite album right now.

I don’t know, I just find the[ir] music. I have my favorite artists and all, but I’m not attached to the artists themselves, I just like their music.

Katelyn Hang 

I listen to pretty much anything, I don’t have a dislike, but recently I’ve been listening to a lot of rock. 

I’d say a little bit older [music], but I’m into pop too. 

I’d say Ghost, Lovejoy, and Chase Atlantic. They’re both really good but for me it’s the vibe of it. I listen to it when I’m working. It’s a really good motivator for me to get up and do stuff. 

I listen to Thrill Seeker, the album by Sub Urban. And I’ve been listening to a lot of Melanie Martinez albums [too]. 

Not really because I don’t keep up with what the artists are doing. I just listen to whatever the artists have out. 

After speaking with students, it became clear that they value simplicity when deciding what to listen to in their free time. Whether it be older or newer music, high school students appreciate sounds they can listen to with ease and relax with; that is especially true with these three students.