CHS Welcomes New Teacher – Franklin Stutevoss

Being a teacher at a new school is hard enough as it is, but being a first-time teacher during a pandemic adds a whole new level of intensity on so many different aspects. But even though Franklin Stutevoss started his teaching career during a very challenging time, he is still making the most of the situation.

Stutevoss grew up in Tigard, Oregon. Educationally, he attended the University of Washington, and later on did a one-year graduate program at Pacific University, graduating this past summer of 2021. Stutevoss has also been an athlete, who was mainly involved in gymnastics, both in coaching and in practice, while in high school and in college. In the past, he had the opportunity to intern at UW for the women’s gymnastics team. He also mentioned that he enjoys golfing and has a three year old dog named Larry.

Before landing his job as a teacher, Stutevoss worked in ticket sales for the Portland Winterhawks. “I was in ticket sales… making phone calls every single day, not glamorous. But yeah, I’ve got a sports background, so I worked for the Winterhawks, I worked a little bit for the Trail Blazers,” said Stutevoss.

Like many, the pandemic really made Stutevoss’ life go off course, in what he was doing during pre-pandemic times. Though the pandemic caused Stutevoss to get laid off from his previous job with the Winterhawks, he took that as an opportunity to go back to school and further his education.

So far, he teaches three different classes here at CHS. “I have Entrepreneurship, Marketing, and [Technology Applications],” said Stutevoss. “So I’ve got three different subjects that I’m teaching throughout the day.”

Initially, Stutevoss didn’t know that he would be teaching technology applications classes, but he soon realized that he would be enjoying teaching that to students.

In addition, Stutevoss hopes to be able to bring Sports Marketing to CHS’s list of classes they offer, “ [Mr. Miller and I] were both collegiate student athletes. We want to kind of do a sports marketing class, or at least do a sports marketing unit…. That’s something I would love to teach.”

Furthermore, Stutevoss said that teaching was never at the forefront of his career-decision-making, but he was never opposed to the idea of being in education, he even got his first Masters Degree in education, while his second was in teaching. The journey to being a teacher at CHS didn’t come smoothly for Stutevoss. “[I] got hired on the week before school started here at Centennial. It was insane… that first day, that freshmen orientation, I was signing the dotted lines up at the district office,” said Stutevoss.

Many people get into the education field because they want to make a difference in the lives of students. In particular, Stutevoss said that he wants to be able to have a positive impact on the lives of students and the people he comes across during his career. He also hopes that students are able to take all of the real-world skills that he teaches in his classes, and are able to apply that knowledge to whatever it is they do throughout their daily lives.

In terms of teaching style, Stutevoss mentioned that he is still working on what his teaching style is. “I don’t want to be stuffy old guy who’s just doing lectures…” said Stutevoss, “I want to work with my kids and make it fun, make it exciting, make it ‘real.’” Coming into CHS, Stutevoss wasn’t sure what to expect. But since the school was interested in hiring a new teacher, and Stutevoss needed a teaching job, he ultimately had a kind of rushed-start to his teaching career, but so far he said that he’s enjoyed his time at CHS and the students he has been teaching and getting to know.

Though this school year has been like no other, Stutevoss admits that it has been challenging to get into the seven-period class schedule we have at CHS. Having diverse students, with diverse backgrounds, and diverse goals is something that has also been a challenge, but Stutevoss sees that these challenges and others that may arise throughout the school year are only going to help him in becoming a better teacher. The CHS staff have been a huge help to Stutevoss and have supported him greatly, especially Mr. Miller who has been in contact with Stutevoss since the beginning, in regard to the hiring process, and among other things. “Everyone that I’ve come across has been super helpful, super welcoming,” said Stutevoss, “I can definitely see everybody cares about one another.”

In the long run, as he continues to have both small and large impacts in students’ lives, Stutevoss hopes they gain this from his classes: “Just learning to be accountable, [being] hardworking. Taking something from my classes, that’s not even academic, [and learning] just how to be a good person. That’s really what I’m trying to teach—and hopefully they can take some business skills with them wherever life takes them.”

This is Stutevoss’s first year teaching, and though there are many excitements and worries that will inevitably come with the profession of being a teacher, CHS is super excited to welcome Mr. Stutevoss to CHS and we are thrilled to see all of the wonderful skills and lessons he has to offer.