Up-and-Coming Film Club Begins Their First Year in a Physical Setting

The 2020-2021 school year was a belligerent time for everyone here at Centennial High School. The aggressive and bitter quality was due to the fact that all of us across the district were forced to stay home, living with the new COVID guidelines to find a new workaround regarding the schedule changes. With a hostile wildfire spreading around Oregon beginning the year and intervening cyber attacks past the midway point, it seemed as if CHS’s students were constantly given obstacles to face again and again without breathing space. Amidst this time of chaos, the student council and staff made sure that school spirit was still seeping through the student body by appending events like the monthly spirit weeks and the now-annual pumpkin carving contest. To add to this, two new clubs were added to the after-school lineup during this time, being Anime and Film Club. I interviewed the Film Club president Khup Hau Tuang and asked what he had to say about the club’s ambitions for this year.

Film Club’s creation came from a place of interest and curiousness. “I wanted to search for other people who had the same passion as me, so we could collectively discuss the films that we like and do more than just [that],” he said.

Tuang’s fascination with cinema started at a young age and recalls his first memory in theaters being one filled with excitement. “The general effect of it was really great. It was Snow White and the Huntsmen, which to be honest is not that great of a movie, even though it was my first movie in theaters,” Tuang said

“I plan on making films, collectively making films, and entering the film festival. I want [the] film club to be more widely known and respected,” Tuang stated. “And collaborate with other clubs as well- be more involved.” In regards to what clubs he wanted to particularly collaborate with, Tuang cited Anime Club, noting that both clubs share similarities, including the club members and the medium itself.

Despite the fact that classes and clubs at CHS were forced to change their usual routine to accommodate an online setting, the Film Club started their weekly meetings through Zoom. This year has become a transitional one for them, making that yet another similarity Film Club shares with Anime Club.

“I think it creates more variety and options. It explores more passion in students- it doesn’t limit them,” Tuang answered, observing how these two clubs have arrived at a similar time in the school year.

“There’s definitely more participation, which is great because that helps with the club,” Tuang explained, describing this year’s engagement. “I think it’s more inclusive. I get to hear other people’s opinions more.”

To join the club, Tuang specified that interested students have the option of entering club advisor Ms. Holk’s classroom (located down the English hallway in room 123) during the school day and giving her their name. “Or go to the Google Form sheet in the Film Club Instagram. [You] can just ask La Tuang if you can find his email or Instagram- but I think the easiest way would be to go to room 123.”

“The next time they watch movies or films, I want them to see them in a different perspective and know the process of making them respect filmmaking more,” Tuang ended off. “I guess I would say that film club is a place for people to share their passion, and I hope it gets better [to] reach a wide audience.”