All About Intro to Design at CHS

Ever thought about picking up a new skill or hobby? Perhaps Sewing? Intro to Design, is an elective course that gives students a variety of opportunities to create innovative pieces and projects accustomed to skills they’ve learned in class. After interviewing a few students from the class, I’ve presumed most are taking it as a chance to express themselves and for fun to see where their abilities can take them. It gives them creative freedom but also challenges them to perfect personal hand made pieces, learn new skills, and embrace their creativity. Currently, the class is working on weaving techniques and creating friendship bracelets. But they’ve been assigned previous pillowcase designs, even plushies, Katelyn, a former student from the class says, she’s most proud of the axolotl plushie she designed. “It was pretty difficult because I had to cut out the pattern and measure fabric” It took her approximately 3 days to complete the project. Katelyn gets her inspiration from online resources, and searches for innovation. I also concluded an interview with student Hajir. 

Interview with Hajir

Q1: Why did you choose to take part in this particular elective course?
A1: “Honestly, I just wanted to try something new, I’ve never done anything in fashion or design.”

Q2: What do you like most about design?
A2: “I like how it reflects on what you’re trying to create and why.”

Q3: Do you consider this class challenging? Why or why not?
A3: “It depends on what you can do and what your abilities are, how much effort you put into projects.” “Sometimes you succeed, and other times you fail. And when you fail you try again.”

Q4: What do you enjoy most about this class?
A4: “You get to create something you like, and express yourself through new projects”

Q5: Does this class require a lot of creativity? If so, where do you get your inspiration from?
A5: “It kind of does honestly, because if you don’t want to do it, why would you spend effort and time into it. I get my inspiration from me. If I try something new and succeed, I’ll try something harder and challenge myself.”