The Eagles Five Game Win Streak Came To An End


File Photo

Kevin Vasquez, number 3, passes the ball across the field. The Eagles ended the season with a final score of 3-2.

Mauricio Lemus-Vargas, Staff Writer

Tonight the Eagles play the Central Catholic Rams at Delta Park as they look for their first win in two games.

The Eagles’ five-game win streak came to an end on October 1, with La Salle Prep’s goal in the last four minutes of the game. The Eagles were ranked #1 in the 6A division before the loss, after, the Eagles were ranked at #6 going into league games which started with their match against Sandy the following Monday. They lost to La Salle Prep, who as it stands is ranked #1 in the 5A division. Divisions are based upon number of students enrolled at the school, the higher the division means the more kids are enrolled with a couple of exceptions.

“Being ranked #1 is awesome but it also carries a lot of weight.  The weight is off and now they can get back to playing the game because they love it,” says Head Coach Todd Saks

It was a tough game, but should be a good learning experience,” adds Saks.

“Losing in the final four minutes of the game is tough.  We grew from our game at Glencoe and I believe we will do the same from this loss,” says Saks.

On October 7th, the league games began in the Mt. Hood Conference. Centennial’s first league game was against the Sandy Pioneers. The game ended in a 6-0 blowout win for the Eagles.

“The boys believe in themselves and what they can accomplish if they put in the work.  Last night, they put in a full game,” says Saks.

The Eagles controlled the game from the start, “ Player to player we were just a better team and we controlled the game,” says Saks.

I believe we had over 35 shots (against Sandy) last night.  Their keeper made some phenomenal saves. We had goals from four different players and our midfield controlled the game.  That will be our key moving forward in league. We have to control the tempo and the midfield. If we can do that, I believe we can be successful,” says Saks.

The Eagles’ following league game was against Clackamas, the game ended in a 3-1 loss. 

It was a good match,” says Coach Saks, “They scored (with) four minutes left in the 1st half from a mental let down, he adds.

“They were very physical and the official let a lot (of calls) go.  Some cases dirty (plays). They took Dennis Bessarab (our starting goalkeeper) out around 25 minutes left to go,” says Saks. 

Bessarab had to be taken off due to a collision with a Clackamas player, he suffered a minor concussion. 

Freshman goalkeeper Jason Marcus took Dennis Bessarab’s place in goal,

“The player they gave a yellow card to had already received a card in the first half for a tactical foul.  For some reason, they were allowed to sub (another player on) and play with 11 men. They should have been down to 10 men,” says Saks.

The Eagles’ faced the Reynolds Raiders Tuesday night in a game that ended in a 1-2 loss for the Eagles. The stands were packed, many Eagles fans as well as many Raiders fans. The fans roared, “Let’s go Eagles,” and, “Let’s go Raiders!” 

For a good part of the game, the score was tied 1-1, until a Reynolds defender scored a header from a cross. The goal put the Raiders in the lead, which was ultimately the game winning goal.