Spring Presents Pet Issues

Jilene Jensen, Staff Writer

Spring is around corner and it’s important for students and families to be aware of their pet’s behavior and welfare. Animal related problems pop up from time to time from shedding/hairballs to dogs and cars.

It’s Hairballs/shedding season:

Shedding season happens twice a year. Pets are shedding their winter coats to grow less fur for the spring and summer. This means more hairballs. For some animal species such as rabbits, don’t have a gag reflex to get fur out of their systems. This can create blockages in their systems to the point of emergency surgery or possibly death. It’s painful, usually rabbits and other prey animals don’t show pain because they would be shown to predators as a snack. Grooming need to be apart of an animal’s routine. Dogs and cats however can hack up hairballs.    

Cats and Wildlife:

Letting cats outside has it’s opinions. Whether they are outdoor or outdoor-indoor cats, it is still  dangerous. The cats can be picked off by birds of prey or coyotes. According to Cats Safe at Home’s website, “Lost cat signs are common sites throughout our city, and with each one comes a sense of preventable loss.”

Not only the issue of cats get lost their is also the danger of them catching and possibly injuring or killing birds. According to an article on the Portland audubon society’s website, “Cats account for nearly 40% of the animal intakes at our Wildlife Care Center, the number one cause of injury by a wide margin.”

Dogs and Cars:

One of the common things to see while driving is a dog with its head out the window. While this is cute, it can also be dangerous. There is a possibility of  flying debris which can cause head injuries, and the wind could harm eyes.

Another issue of seeing dogs in car is that some may not be buckled in a seat belt. There is that small chance of a dog seeing something across the street and jumping out. There are seat belts especially made for dogs.   

Screens on window:

Keeping screens on windows are is very important. Just like kids, animals have a curiosity to explore. Screens can prevent animals and kids from falling out of windows

Poisonous plants:

There are alot of plants and flowers that are toxic to animals. If they get into anything call the vet right away. Here are some of the common yard plants that can be hazardous to pets:

• American Holly
  • American Yew
  • Begonia
  • Catnip
  • Dahlia
  • Day lilies (depends)

For more information, see this site: :https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value%5B0%5D=02

About the Writer
Jilene Jensen, Staff Writer

This is Jilene’s first year on The Talon, but her second year being involved in journalism. She is an advocate for both pets and wildlife and has worked...

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Posture Affects More Than The Spine

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Marissa’s Meme Dictionary

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

ASB Application Materials Due April 19

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Momo Challenge?

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Jalen’s 1st Person Baseball Preview

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Wireless Airpods Pose Health Concern

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Guest Column: Nodding My Head in Agreement

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Anonymous Student Reveals Alleged Sexual Assault

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Speech And Debate Has Great Competition

• Spring Presents Pet Issues

Cheer Places 8 At State Competition

Spring Presents Pet Issues