Gresham IB Student Strides for Change

International Baccalaureate (IB) programs offered in selective schools require seniors to complete a final end-of-the-year project often after accomplishing their exams. Gresham High School’s senior, Jade Yun, is taking her project from a personal perspective and spreading awareness of Cystic Fibrosis and it’s ever-changing research.

The annual Walk for Cystic Fibrosis was done on May 7 at Oaks Park in order to promote and donate to research studies correlated with finding a cure to this deadly disease.

“It was for such a great cause,” explained Yun, “We had a lot of people come and participate and some of the students at Gresham took part in donating.”

With the event being a success, Yun also completed her IB project requirements, but she states her work is still not over. She continues to extend this project into her leisure time in hopes of expanding her targeted audience.

“My cousin Mirayah is in the fight against Cystic Fibrosis and I wrote her a song for support, which I performed at the walkathon. It’s important to spread awareness and let people know what they can do to help!”

Centennial’s Student Council recently invited Yun to come present her project and walk-a-thon in hopes to accomplish that goal to which she came and explained her volunteering process.

The Walk of 69 Roses was named in homage to those diagnosed (typically at a very young age) that are unable to pronounce the diagnosis they’ve been given. Rather than “Cystic Fibrosis” young children are taught to say “65 roses” until they’re able to fully pronounce it.

In terms of research, Cystic Fibrosis, for the first time in history, has had survivors surpass the age of 25. Usually the life expectancy of about 15-20 years after diagnosis, but the upcoming generation’s rates are exceeding this normalcy and changing the lives of those who fall victim to the disease. For that reason, awareness campaigns such as this ask for donations to fund causes which focus on research in order to potentially help prolong the age expectancy and even find a cure.

From project requirements to genuine desire to spread awareness,  Yun epitomized the qualities looked for in IB, and even AP students: to find a pursuit and evoke a difference in the lives of others. Whether it be a part of school curriculum or not, it’s significant to recognize that a change is only sparked by mentality and persistence.

To gather more information about “Mirayah’s Gang” or simply find a way to donate or volunteer time visit here and start your change!