Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Girls Rugby Team.

Girls Rugby Team.

File Photo

File Photo

Girls Rugby Team.

Jessica Villalobos, Staff Writer and Editor

Rugby began in 1840 when a soccer player for Rugby School in England got tired of just kicking the ball and picked it up and ran with it.  The opposing team, outraged at the Rugby player, tackled the runner. After a brief conference between the teams, the sport of Rugby was founded.  Years later, American football would be adopted from Rugby.

“Rugby is a beautiful, elegant, and fiercely tough game,” said Head Coach Tom Bremer.

A young, spirited Girls Rugby team dominated by freshmen and sophomores continued to improve week-by-week guided by Senior captains Jasmin Vazquez, Deanna Vaivao, and Isabella Torres.

The girls won the Spring 2018 Bowl Championship final, placing them 5th in the state.  This was their only win of the season.

“I would also like all of you to understand this victory was not just a milestone for our season, it was a critical milestone for the girls rugby program at Centennial High School,” said Bremer.

“It was the kind of teamwork we strived for all season long,” said Bremer.

“We matched CCC (Columbia County) 8 for 8 and even dropped down to 6 on 6 when their numbers went down.  And still earned a 52-15 victory. At least 8 players scored points,’’ he said.

The Girls Rugby Team is proud to recognize Tupou Fononga who was selected for the Red Hawks, Oregon’s All-Star team.  Fononga will represent Oregon in tournaments throughout the Western United States this summer. “We scrum for possession, run for the try zone, bleed for the team, and live for the game,” said Fononga.

“You have to live for those who weren’t able to.’ ’This season was really hard on us with the death of Kendra (Cornwell), but we kept her in our hearts and spirits till the very end,” said senior captain Vazquez.

Cornwel, a 2017 grad, died in a car crash on Highway 26 on March 26. Cornwell was part of the initial Centennial rugby team her freshman year.

“In turn, Centennial girl’s rugby won the bowl against Columbia County 52-15. I was able to score the final try of the season and of my high school rugby career. It’s a moment I will never forget,” said Vazquez.

“If you’re willing to work hard and are not afraid of contact, there’s a place for you on a rugby team,” said Bremer.

About the Writer
Jessica Villalobos, 16, is a junior and it’s her second year being a writer for the Talon and taking pictures for yearbook. She is the President for MEChA and is enjoys being active in her free time. Jessica enjoys playing soccer, hiking, and spending time with her family. She plans to graduate high school, go...
  • Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Swifts Return Like Clockwork

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Personal Perspective: Milana Talks Girls Rugby

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Dress Code Helps Keep Student Focus

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Core Leaves CHS After 21 Years; Heads To Arizona

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Chromebooks Or Macs; District Faces Dillema

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Sonam Reflects On Basketball Career

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Eli Wraps 4 Years Of Hoops

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Ree Returns To Court

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Cam Gives Incoming Frosh A Few Tips

• Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

Doumit Praises Poetsch On His Way Out

Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win