Track Ramps Up

Senior+David+Sanchez.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Track Ramps Up

Senior David Sanchez.

Senior David Sanchez.

Carscallen

Senior David Sanchez.

Carscallen

Carscallen

Senior David Sanchez.

Sonam Phuntsok, Staff Writer

With Spring sports starting up, the 2018 Centennial track team is looking forward to continue with the success they achieved last year. Last year the team learned that good results will occur through hard work in practice and competition to the best of their ability. The sky’s the limit for the track team as expectations for returning athlete are even higher than previous years.

Coach Greg Letts was optimistic when asked about the goals and expectations for the team. He said, “Last year the boys took third at the district meet with a fairly young squad. This year, the boys team should contend for the top spot in the MHC. It will be interesting to see how this group develops.” Furthermore coach Letts highlighted some of the teams key returning athletes.       

“Returning athletes that are “KEY” to accomplishing our goal starts with David Sanchez-Sr. District Champion in the Pole Vault and placed at state, he is the most athletic individual on the team.”

Sanchez also competes in the High Hurdles. High Jump, and Javelin. Along with Sanchez, Jadon Pickles-Senior,will handle the mid-sprints (200-400m), relays and trying the triple jump. Additionally, Coach Letts commented “Senior Koby Scheetz is looking good in practice in the throwing events..shot and discus and we will be counting on him to do great for the team. Raven lickey very athletic could help (if he doesn’t get injured) us in the Pole Vault, 400-800 runs, and relay.”

Lastly, Sophomore Jimmie Barton who placed 5th in state in the 100m as a frosh will also be doing the 200m (went to state as well), and anchoring the 4x100m relay. This year’s track team has a lot of experience combined with some young talent in underclassmen. Letts stated “We have depth on this years team in most of the running events..and some field events.”

Track Season starts March 21 at Sherwood Icebreaker against 54 other schools.  Centennials track team only has three home meets this year which is something very unusual compared to previous years. The first home meet is April 21 Saturday and is the 54th Centennial Invitational. The next meet at home will be the City Meet against Barlow & Gresham on May 1 Tuesday. Then on May 5, which is the MHC Novice District Meet at home.

• Track Ramps Up

Opinion

Adviser, Coach Introduces Girls Basketball Team

• Track Ramps Up

Opinion

Where Did You Go To College And What Was The Experience Like?

• Track Ramps Up

SLIP Test Sheds Light on Language Credit Opportunities

• Track Ramps Up

90% Attendance Required For Saturday’s Formal

• Track Ramps Up

Opinion

Are You and Your Family Ready For a Natural Disaster?

• Track Ramps Up

Thursday Marks Annual NHS Blood Drive

• Track Ramps Up

Many Students Praise REAP

• Track Ramps Up

One Act Auditions Today!

• Track Ramps Up

News

Girl’s Wrestling, Welcome to the Mount Hood Conference!

• Track Ramps Up

Opinion

Aaron Bids Farewell To XC Season

Track Ramps Up