Track Ramps Up

Senior+David+Sanchez.+
Senior David Sanchez.

Senior David Sanchez.

Carscallen

Carscallen

Senior David Sanchez.

Sonam Phuntsok, Staff Writer

With Spring sports starting up, the 2018 Centennial track team is looking forward to continue with the success they achieved last year. Last year the team learned that good results will occur through hard work in practice and competition to the best of their ability. The sky’s the limit for the track team as expectations for returning athlete are even higher than previous years.

Coach Greg Letts was optimistic when asked about the goals and expectations for the team. He said, “Last year the boys took third at the district meet with a fairly young squad. This year, the boys team should contend for the top spot in the MHC. It will be interesting to see how this group develops.” Furthermore coach Letts highlighted some of the teams key returning athletes.       

“Returning athletes that are “KEY” to accomplishing our goal starts with David Sanchez-Sr. District Champion in the Pole Vault and placed at state, he is the most athletic individual on the team.”

Sanchez also competes in the High Hurdles. High Jump, and Javelin. Along with Sanchez, Jadon Pickles-Senior,will handle the mid-sprints (200-400m), relays and trying the triple jump. Additionally, Coach Letts commented “Senior Koby Scheetz is looking good in practice in the throwing events..shot and discus and we will be counting on him to do great for the team. Raven lickey very athletic could help (if he doesn’t get injured) us in the Pole Vault, 400-800 runs, and relay.”

Lastly, Sophomore Jimmie Barton who placed 5th in state in the 100m as a frosh will also be doing the 200m (went to state as well), and anchoring the 4x100m relay. This year’s track team has a lot of experience combined with some young talent in underclassmen. Letts stated “We have depth on this years team in most of the running events..and some field events.”

Track Season starts March 21 at Sherwood Icebreaker against 54 other schools.  Centennials track team only has three home meets this year which is something very unusual compared to previous years. The first home meet is April 21 Saturday and is the 54th Centennial Invitational. The next meet at home will be the City Meet against Barlow & Gresham on May 1 Tuesday. Then on May 5, which is the MHC Novice District Meet at home.

About the Writer
Sonam Phuntsok, Staff Writer
Senior Sonam Phuntsok is a second year journalist for The Talon. He is a big sports enthusiast , and especially likes basketball.  Phuntsok enjoys spending time with friends and family but basketball is always on his mind.  He also enjoys listening to rap music. He was given a basketball before he could walk and since...
  • Track Ramps Up

Core Leaves CHS After 21 Years; Heads To Arizona

• Track Ramps Up

Chromebooks Or Macs; District Faces Dillema

• Track Ramps Up

Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

• Track Ramps Up

Sonam Reflects On Basketball Career

• Track Ramps Up

Opinion

Should the Consequences of Skipping Class Increase?

• Track Ramps Up

Eli Wraps 4 Years Of Hoops

• Track Ramps Up

Ree Returns To Court

• Track Ramps Up

Cam Gives Incoming Frosh A Few Tips

• Track Ramps Up

Doumit Praises Poetsch On His Way Out

• Track Ramps Up

Ado Reveals His Top 5 High School Moments

Track Ramps Up