Sports Column: Heisman

Eli Porterfield

Wrobel

Eli Porterfield

Eli Porterfield, Sports Editor

After a sensational senior season, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield won the Heisman trophy by a landslide. Mayfield beat out Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson who won the award last year, and Stanford running back Bryce Love was the runner-up.

Mayfield has led the Sooners to an impressive 12-1 record this year. His 4,340 passing yards and 41 touchdowns to only 5 interceptions is incredible. He also demonstrated a knack for running and being able to extend plays on the ground. Mayfield rushed for 5 touchdowns and 310 yards. Throughout the season, he showed a strong sense of security, recording 0 fumbles the entire year.

Mayfield was the leader of one of the highest scoring offenses in the country. While he has a strong core of receivers, tight ends, and running backs, Mayfield was the engine that drove the Sooners season. Without Mayfield’s contributions Oklahoma certainly wouldn’t be where they are now. Oklahoma owns a very pedestrian defense, Oklahoma’s offense was the root of their success this year.

While the Heisman is a tremendous award, Mayfield and the Oklahoma Sooners are focused primarily on the College Football Playoff, and their upcoming matchup with the third ranked, Southeastern Conference Champions Georgia Bulldogs. With a win Mayfield will lead the Sooners to a National Championship game berth. A win versus the Clemson Tigers or Alabama Crimson Tide would immortalize Mayfield in the history of College Football.  

About the Writer
Eli Porterfield, Sports Editor
Eli Porterfield is a senior that is contributing his second year to the Advanced Journalism team. Porterfield is also involved with the basketball program, he spends a lot of his time around basketball and was a member of the JV basketball team last year.  Porterfield’s free time often goes towards playing basketball.   One of his...
  • Sports Column: Heisman

Core Leaves CHS After 21 Years; Heads To Arizona

• Sports Column: Heisman

Chromebooks Or Macs; District Faces Dillema

• Sports Column: Heisman

Rugby Earns Trophy With First Win

• Sports Column: Heisman

Sonam Reflects On Basketball Career

• Sports Column: Heisman

Opinion

Should the Consequences of Skipping Class Increase?

• Sports Column: Heisman

Eli Wraps 4 Years Of Hoops

• Sports Column: Heisman

Ree Returns To Court

• Sports Column: Heisman

Cam Gives Incoming Frosh A Few Tips

• Sports Column: Heisman

Doumit Praises Poetsch On His Way Out

• Sports Column: Heisman

Ado Reveals His Top 5 High School Moments

Sports Column: Heisman